Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fantasy Baseball Team #2

Second fantasy baseball draft was last night. Another H2H, ten-team league. Categories a little different, as well as positions.

Hitting categories:
  • Runs
  • RBIs
  • Home runs
  • Stolen bases
  • Batting average

Pitching categories:
  • Wins
  • Saves
  • Strikeouts
  • ERA
  • WHIP

I ended up with the 10th pick in the snake draft, which is okay, because I got bookends! The thing about the people in this league--they draft a little crazy. People reach like crazy for some strange players. Also, I've noticed that pitchers always go pretty quickly. This season, I think they may have gone more quickly than ever. For example, I was intending to draft Roy Halladay with my first or second pick. I knew it was a reach, but he wasn't coming back to me and I wanted to own him. Instead, someone took him with the 7th pick. Jesus. The end result of pitchers going so quickly was that someone like Brian Roberts was available in the last round (or close to the last round). Hitters are on FA that kinda have no business being there. Ah, well. Someone's gotta drop a great pitcher some time, right? Right?

Anyway, my team.

Catcher: Geovany Soto (I came so, so close to landing McCann, but apparently that was the round people decided they wanted hitters. The person who has McCann is starting him in the utility spot.)
First base: Miguel Cabrera
Second base: Ian Kinsler
Third base: David Wright
Shortstop: Derek Jeter
Outfielders: Justin Upton, Colby Rasmus, Dexter Fowler, Angel Pagan, Vladimir Guerrero, Nick Markakis
Starting pitchers: Yovanni Gallardo, Dan Haren, Trevor Cahill, Jorge de la Rosa, Jaime Garcia, Brandon Morrow, Jair Jurrjens, Brandon Webb
Relief pitchers: Neftali Feliz, Francisco Cordero, Kevin Gregg

I feel like this always happens in this league, but I'm just not really feeling my team. For one thing, I have a lot of overlap with my other fantasy team in terms of players and they're generally not players I wanted to own in both leagues (like Pagan, Vlad, de la Rosa). Also, I really kinda hate that I own Derek Jeter. He was the best available and shortstops kinda fell off a cliff in terms of value after him, but still. I don't like that I own him. At least I have Upton, Gallardo, and Haren, three players I really like. Guess we'll see how this goes.

No comments: